Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dusty Ledfield

I got a good deal (I think) on some bright 10mm LED’s (130k mcd’s) but they’re clear rather than diffuse and they look weird behind the ping pong balls I was planning to house them in.

Sanding one or two down with some 240 grit sandpaper works just fine but it’s frightfully slow.

So, never adverse to buying a gadget (economic stimulus is my excuse) I unleash the Dremel 300, delivered today, on them. 

It works great.  In fact, almost too well.  I wish the device had a lower ‘lowest’ speed.  I really ought to be wearing a dust mask too!

But all said and done, I reckon it will save 2 minutes per LED.  So 64 x 2 minutes, the best part of 2 hours.  At my professional rate, that’s already paid for the Dremel a bunch of times over.  Result, me=happy (apart from polywhatsit-dust in my respiratory tract)

Clear vs. Dremel from Simon Devlin on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment